On-demand home rental insurance – Updated  By

On-demand home rental insurance – Updated

Note: This article was first published in July 2016.  It has been updated effective October 2018. This list is not comprehensive and is subject to change at any time.    

As the home sharing economy continues to grow, so do accompanying services. A more recent development has been on-demand insurance for home rentals. This additional service can bring peace of mind for your property while you rent it out- generally protecting you from covered events such as theft, damage, and more. Most members of the Sabbatical Homes community are like-minded individuals who are ethical and will want to replace what they broke. We entrust our community to engage with each other with decency and dignity, but it’s never a bad idea to have an additional layer of protection.

We’ve compiled a resourceful list of some home insurance companies for home rentals below:


If you hold a homeowner’s policy with Allstate, you can add supplemental HostAdvantage home sharing insurance.


Holiday home insurance in the UK


CBIZ is an established vacation rental insurance company.  Per their website, their policy provides protection for short-term vacation rentals and is designed to replace your dwelling or landlord policy. There are no standard occupancy restrictions and it is available in all 50 states in the US.


Comet is underwritten by United Specialty (A rating) and billed on a monthly basis. Their national membership reaches all 50 states in the US and members enjoy unique products, services, and discounts for all of their home-sharing specific needs.


For seasonal and vacation homes, you can customize coverage even if you don’t insure your primary residence with Farmers.

Proper Insurance

For short-term rentals in the US, underwritten by Lloyd’s of London.

Rental Guardian

The cost is comparable to existing homeowner’s policy. (US)


Vacation rental insurance priced per night (US).


Covers rental homes in the UK, France, Italy, Portugal, and Spain

Share Cover

ShareCover offers tailored insurance that protects you from risks associated with having a guest in your property. It is currently available in AUS, NZ, & Asia and is underwritten by Insurance Australia Group (IAG).


On-demand pay-per-use insurance for homeshares starting at $7 USD per night.

Square One

Square One is currently available in parts of Canada (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario) as well as in three US States (Arizona, California, and Oregon).

SabbaticalHomes.com does not endorse or recommend any of these companies or services. When engaging with any insurance company, it’s a good idea to ask detailed questions about what they truly cover. If you have had experience with any of these companies, we welcome your feedback in our comments section below.  

‘How to’ provides our audience with tips on subjects that are most relevant to travel, aiding any question and/or concern one may have throughout their experience. We strive for each individual to enjoy their travels, especially when it comes to foreign situations. Let us know what you think. Connect with us on FacebookTwitter, or Google +.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *